[FFmpeg-devel] Thoughts about error reporting

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Wed Dec 4 12:52:58 EET 2019

Hi.

This mail is more specifically addressed to people who develop
applications with the FFmpeg libraries, especially non-console
applications (GUI, web).

Please reply on libav-user at ffmpeg.org exclusively.

My question is: do you find the error reporting mechanism satisfactory?
I mean not only the few error codes, but the logging to add a
human-readable explanation to the code: is it convenient?

If you do not find it convenient, can you explain what you do not like?
Or even better, if you have given it some thought, can you explain what
kind of API you would prefer?

I am asking because I myself find it inconvenient, and I would like to
propose something better.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George