[FFmpeg-devel] Legal status of MLP decoder/encoder + MLP DVD-Audio headers

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 11:28:59 EEST 2019

Am Mi., 21. Aug. 2019 um 10:01 Uhr schrieb fabrice nicol <fabrnicol at gmail.com>:

> I was wondering whether the ffmpeg team has investigated the potential
> legal issues with the MLP decoder/encoder, as it was originally created
> under proprietary licensing terms.

To the best of our knowledge, the mlp decoder was written by Ian Caulfield,
the mlp encoder by Jai Luthra, both were released under the terms of the
LGPL.

> In particular, I'm wary that uploading to Sourceforge servers hosted in
> the US may involve potential risks in this respect. Do you think it
> necessary to refrain from posting on SF and sticking to
> European-hosted servers, or is this just unecessary?

Only your intellectual-property lawyer can answer this question,
afaik nobody on this mailing list is an intellectual property lawyer.

Carl Eugen