[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] How to become release maintainer

Gyan ffmpeg at gyani.pro
Mon Aug 5 17:03:01 EEST 2019

On 05-08-2019 06:48 PM, James Almer wrote:
> On 8/5/2019 10:13 AM, Gyan wrote:
>>
>> On 05-08-2019 06:05 PM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there some official way how to become release maintainer?
>>> Expecially creating new releases once in a while.
>>> I'm not happy with current release management in FFmpeg.
>> Yes, release intervals look to be erratic. What would help is a
>> suggested schedule, something like
>>
>> master nb_commits % 1500 == 0.
> Commit amount means nothing. You could get a whole new decoder in one,
> or a fix for a single issue split across seven.

Across a small number of commits, yes, this would have an impact. Once
you go large, the number of consolidated/piecemeal commits has to even out.

> And if you make the cut as strict as you suggest, you'll surely get
> broken releases.
My suggestion is for a marker, not an exact cut point, which would be
pragmatically decided by the release maintainer to avoid partial
patchsets or security fixes.

Gyan