[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] How to become release maintainer

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 16:47:56 EEST 2019

On 8/5/2019 10:35 AM, Reto Kromer wrote:

>> And if you make the cut as strict as you suggest, you'll surely
>> get broken releases.
>
> I fully agree that such an orthodoxy would result in broken
> releases.
>
> Seen this from a user of releases perspective, a good compromise
> between availability of new features and deployment of a new
> version would be a few months, such as one release per season.
> Hope this input is useful for the discussion.
>
> Best regards, Reto

That is the current schedule. It used to be one every three months, give
or take a month, then changed to six months once that stopped being true.
The issue is that 4.2 is being delayed way too much, fast approaching a
year now, apparently because Michael (Who handles releases) is dealing
with a constant influx of new issues reported by fuzzers, most of which
he considers a security concern.

I agree with him that they should be dealt with, but it should be
limited to those considered severe and must be addressed immediately
(AKA, blocking issues, with proven effects).
We have always made a point release about a week or two after the
original, with all the required backported fixes included. I don't see
why that's apparently no longer being taken into account.

Fuzzer reported issues will not stop or slow down, so unless we get
laxer with the assigned severity to such issues and leave a bunch for
the point releases, 4.2 may not see the light.