[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] How to become release maintainer

Gyan ffmpeg at gyani.pro
Mon Aug 5 16:13:19 EEST 2019

On 05-08-2019 06:05 PM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there some official way how to become release maintainer?
> Expecially creating new releases once in a while.
> I'm not happy with current release management in FFmpeg.

Yes, release intervals look to be erratic. What would help is a
suggested schedule, something like

master nb_commits % 1500 == 0.

This is self-pacing - rapid/slow development -> rapid/slow release.
Since the marker indication is known in advance, developers can guess by
when their patches should be pushed to make it in a release. The exact
cut point can be relaxed a bit to allow for important backports.

Gyan