[FFmpeg-devel] qt-faststart bug near 4GB

Eran Kornblau eran.kornblau at kaltura.com
Sun Jun 10 16:20:10 EEST 2018

I agree, had the same thought when I wrote the patch, but left it as it was - only the usage error is printed to stderr.
Will submit a patch for this after we finalize the discussion on this one.

> some self test for the newly added feature would also be a good idea

Since a real MP4 with this problem is going to be large (4GB), I'm thinking about taking a small MP4,
and patch some stco offset to UINT_MAX. Naturally, it will break the file, but faststart won't care -
it should still upgrade the stco to co64, and we can just compare the cksum/md5sum of the result to some fixed value.
What do you think?

Btw, the tests we ran on this change internally are -
1. compared the result of the new version to the previous one on more than 1k files (incl small files and large >4gb files)
and verified the result was exactly the same (the edge case this solves is extremely rare, and "normal" files are not expected to change)
2. checked the specific file that had this issue, and verified it was fixed.

> also, was the new code tested with a fuzzer ?

No, can you provide some guidance on this - is there some fuzzing framework that you're using?

> thx
>
> [...]
> --
> Michael     GnuPG fingerprint: 9FF2128B147EF6730BADF133611EC787040B0FAB
>
> Frequently ignored answer#1 FFmpeg bugs should be sent to our bugtracker. User questions about the command line tools should be sent to the ffmpeg-user ML.
> And questions about how to use libav* should be sent to the libav-user ML.

Thanks!

Eran