[FFmpeg-devel] [GSoC] FFserver: Add HLS and DASH

Stephan Holljes klaxa1337 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 11 18:56:59 EEST 2018

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 11:21 PM, Michael Niedermayer
<michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 02:51:00AM +0200, Stephan Holljes wrote:
>> This patchset took embarrassingly long to produce. I first took a few wrong
>> turns, but I think I'm now at a point where I reached the limits of the
>> public server API in libavformat. The main problem is that I cannot set
>> options on clients that are accepted through http_accept(), for example
>> a timeout on socket operations, as currently a client that disconnects while
>> being sent a file causes the sending thread to loop infintely in a poll()-call.
>> I wonder if adding a different library handling the http server (as planned for
>> the future) would be better done now rather than later.
>>
>> Another bug I cannot really explain so far (that may be because of my
>> unfamiliarity with DASH) is that with longer files the DASH stream starts to
>> repeat some fragments (at least in mpv) in weird ways. HLS does not have this
>> problem.
>>
>> Another thing that is not yet handled are unmuxable codecs.
>>
>> The patchset also includes some cleanup and other various fixes.
>
> on a slightly different subject, do people want me to create a git repository
> on git.ffmpeg.org, similar to:
>
> https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git
>
> for this ?
> as tha patches are not for the main ffmpeg repository ...
> or maybe ive missed a discussion about this and this already has a intended
> place to be put to ?

I think it was briefly discussed, but not properly communicated. As
far as I know a separate repository was the optimal solution.

> if i should create one, who should have access?, who will maintain it?
> This question about maintaince is probably somewhat for mentor and student,
> as i assume you know the code much better than anyone else ...

My first reaction is that I am up to maintaining it and I hope that I
am up to the task. Of course help from other people that are
experienced in network stuff is greatly appreciated. I haven't been
available much the past few days on IRC so I haven't discussed this
with anyone else.