[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] Adds ESPCN super resolution filter merged with SRCNN filter.

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 19:42:02 EEST 2018

>> > It is very different: the arrays in *data* come either
>> > from a mathematical computation or a spec.
>>
>> (Apart from: Free and open specs?)
>> This is probably true for some of the arrays, I think it is
>> very unlikely that it's true for all of them.
>
> The point is: you can recreate all of those arrays.

I believe the only way to recreate (some of) the
arrays in libavcodec/*data* is to look into old
FFmpeg sources but I apparently misunderstand
you, sorry.

I always thought we can use these arrays of numbers
because arrays of numbers are in general not
copyrightable but you seem to disagree?

> If OP dies, you can still take over.

In the case of this filter, you can always recreate
the numbers using the github repository, no?

>> > Else, as some Debian Developer said: "It looks like code
>> > hidden in an unsigned char array"
>>
>> Is it "code" or data that was computed with a copyrighted
>> algorithm?
>
> How can you know, if it is not explained, and you cannot
> reproduce it?

If you believe it is insufficiently documented, you - ideally
before the commit - should ask for more documentation.
(This can of course be done now.)

> How is it different from a binary blob?

I thought a "binary blob" is an executable program that
you load into some hardware (or a simulator) and it
gets executed.

Carl Eugen