[FFmpeg-devel] [mp3] Skip APE tags when parsing mp3 packets.

Dale Curtis dalecurtis at chromium.org
Tue Jan 30 20:40:25 EET 2018

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 6:44 AM, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:

> In theory we could have a flag that controls this (I thought there
> actually was such a flag, but didn't find anything). If we ever find
> that discarding data is a problem, maybe such a flag could be added.
>
> Also I still kind of hope someone will make a new parser API, since the
> current one is clunky with its AVCodecContext use and its inability to
> return errors.

+1 to both of these points. To add in my 2 cents, consumption of metadata
(APE, ID3, etc) packets seems like something that should be part of the
core avformat routines. I.e. they should transparently feed into the
AVFormatContext metadata structure. Chrome doesn't use them, so we're fine
with discarding them like I did in my patch, but forwarding them to clients
which have been told these are packets for codec X when in reality they are
metadata packets feels unfortunate.

- dale