[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC]Use ptrdiff_t for linesize and stride

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 03:46:51 EET 2018

Hi!

Seeing 6e80079a it appears that the unstable period is not over yet.
Vittorio posted a patch that introduces a temporary type to avoid
breaking API, but that may not be relevant if the api currently
unstable.

Attached patch (inspired by Vittorio's RFC) passes fate with
--disable-asm and does not introduce new warnings with gcc 6.3.
Do we generally need this change?
Do we generally want it?

If yes, I will likely need help for the asm changes.

I would like to avoid a temporary type and I would like to avoid a
future version bump only because this change suddenly becomes
necessary.

Please comment, Carl Eugen