[FFmpeg-devel] MPEG DASH Profiles

Jeyapal, Karthick kjeyapal at akamai.com
Mon Dec 3 07:05:14 EET 2018

>On 12/1/18, 5:27 AM, "Ronak" <ronak2121-at-yahoo.com at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
>
>Hey all,
>
>Is there a reason why ffmpeg only uses the MPEG DASH LIVE profile? Even if I want to do VOD, it reports that profile in the manifest files.
>
>I'm thinking of adding support to provide the 4 profiles that MPEG DASH supports, and use the same optimization we used to improve the fMP4 generation for HLS.
>
>Here is the bug that I'm referring to: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7281 <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7281>
>
>Would the group here be okay with a change like this? For backwards compatibility, we could let LIVE be the default profile.
>
>I've noticed that ffmpeg is coded primarily for video and LIVE streaming, and other use cases are not as well supported. Why is this the case?
I am not aware of the history for supporting only LIVE. But please feel free to send the patches for supporting DASH VoD profiles as well. I will review the code and provide relevant comments to get those changes merged with the main trunk. Please go thru this documentation(if you haven't already) https://www.ffmpeg.org/developer.html before submitting any patches.