[FFmpeg-devel] github

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 26 14:36:46 EEST 2018

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 13:15:52 +0200
Daniel Oberhoff <danieloberhoff at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is any chance to move development to github? I.e. not just mirror, but as primary development repo, with issues and pull requests? Would make collaboration a *lot* easier (think of submitting a pr instead of having to generate/format/split patches).

Using git send-email is actually simpler than sending a github PR. Also
github will delete or hide review comments once you force-push the PR
branch (after you've fixed things that were pointed out).

It would force everyone to use a complex and slow web interface.
There's no easily searchable archive of past reviews, like the mailing
list archive.

There is also this aspect that github is an US company and a single
point of failure. If there's a problem we couldn't just move the server
somewhere else. Github would also be in control who's allowed to
register and make posts, which seems rather strange to me.

Another small aspect is that we've seen really awful low quality
contributions on our github repository, even though we explicitly state
that we don't do PRs. There have been 130 pull requests ever since we
made a dummy PR that we ignore pull requests. Why open the flood gates?

So I have doubts that it would work for us.