[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.5 / 4.0

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 19 17:43:16 EEST 2018

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 16:33:47 +0200
Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> James Almer (2018-04-19):
> > Had it been in 3.4 it would have mean a considerable ABI breakage as
> > well, at least without the eventual backwards compat change.
>
> Can you explain why you think that?
>
> When advising on these changes and reviewing patches, I was very careful
> that they do not introduce API nor ABI changes.

Your care is appreciated, but it still caused API changes and some
rather critical bugs.

> Apart from bugs in protocols that were not fixed immediately, the only

6 months later is "immediately"? Strange sense of time.

> change visible for applications is if they register a custom callback
> for a packet protocol and yet decide to return 0 to indicate EOF. This
> was never a documented practice, is logically absurd (0 is a valid
> packet size) and inconsistent with similar practices (UDP socket do not
> return 0 for EOF).

Applications could have relied on this behavior, though. Also not all
packet based I/O mechanisms need to be UDP or sockets.

Yes, we all know EOF behavior isn't well documented, which means we
should cope with whatever behavior applications expect.