[FFmpeg-devel] Deprecation of visual output devices

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Sep 27 18:26:14 EEST 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 05:01:59PM +0200, wm4 wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 16:34:49 +0200
> Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 02:18:13PM +0100, Josh de Kock wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > There is no point of having these output devices as all the
> > > functionality is contained in the 'ffplay' tool. If people wanted to
> > > integrate these devices in their own programs instead of using the
> > > ffmpeg tool then they are far too constrained for proper control, not to
> >
> > > mention output devices have been quick hacky in libavdevice for a long
> >
> > then please write a better API / lib / system
>
> It should never have been added this way. Why did it happen? On that
> note, I tried to prevent it,

> and to argue that the contributor should
> have created a better API instead of badly hacking it into libavdevice.

I did not say anything like that.

What i stated should be the obvious
if people feel what we have doesnt serve its intended goals then
it makes sense to write something that does.

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf