[FFmpeg-devel] On in-tree external headers

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Tue Oct 31 18:34:02 EET 2017

Removing the nvenc/cuvid headers from the tree would imply the following
procedure for anyone wanting to build ffmpeg with nvenc/cuvid:

Register with nvidia to get access to their Video SDK Downloads.
Extract the headers from their massive SDK.
Patch them so that ffmpeg can make use of them. The vanilla headers are
not useful for ffmpeg, as they are not in a format that can be easily
included. All the headers in the tree are slightly modified to avoid
some type-collision, extend compatibility(for example with Cygwin) and
for the dynamic loading we do.

Putting that state of headers into an external repository that someone
maintains seems like a giant and confusing mess for every user and
distributor. And I don't see any benefit in doing that.

The headers are MIT licensed, so there is no license issue to be found
here. They don't cause any issues on any platform where they are used by
default.

I also do not see any problem with including the new single-header AMD
encoder, it makes everyone's life easier and avoid confusing proxy
libraries.

We're not bundling entire 3rd party libs in-tree here, just API headers
for system/driver APIs.