[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] lavf/cafenc: Allow muxing opus.

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 04:10:39 EEST 2017

>>> This at the very least requires limiting muxing to mono and stereo
>>> streams (The only kind of streams that work without channel mapping
>>> information in extradata),
>>
>> Done, thank you!
>>
>>> and a check for -strict experimental.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because we're creating these files blindly

This is not correct (and offending, no matter the issue
with the original patch).

> without a proper RE attempt

How do you know?

> or following any kind of encapsulation spec. And considering the
> official encoder/muxer adds a codec specific chunk we don't, the more
> reason to consider a muxing as barebones as this as something
> potentially non-compliant.

Imo, this is not a helpful approach:
The "official" demuxer/decoder accept the files, how does
it make sense to argue they are potentially non-compliant?

>>> Also, I'd have rather waited for Apple to update their docs about Opus
>>> in CAF.
>>
>> As in: Until Godot arrives?
>>
>> Sorry, I don't think it makes much sense to wait for a
>> specification that to best of our knowledge may never
>> appear.
>
> Apple published the spec for CAF

> detailing encapsulation details for the codecs it supports

Depending on the definition of "detailing":
Yes.
(For most codecs, the encapsulation details had to be
guessed.)

> including the contents of the kuki chunk for most of them.

Could you elaborate? This is not how I remember it.

Carl Eugen