[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] avfilter: add vmafmotion filter

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Oct 7 00:43:52 EEST 2017

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:04:24PM +0200, Hendrik Leppkes wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 10:21 PM, Michael Niedermayer
> <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> >
> > With this a filter graph can never be taken from an untrusted source
> >

> The same could be said for any ffmpeg CLI command line string, which
> people happily share on the web all the time, it can also contain
> multiple output files which can get overwritten without question even
> with the right commands.

sure
but if we had the ability to use untrusted strings saftely as
filtergraph then this would allow new use cases.

An example would be filterng videos via a web app

Another example would be a recommanded filter embeded in a web page or
a video that by default might be applied during playback in the client.
That may be a filter to do deblock / post processing or some telecine
related correction.

One could go further and apply this not to a video but a whole webpage
insane, yes, and whole lot of compatibility questions but my point is
not the details here, just that theres alot more than a user copy and
pasting a trojanized command line

> Should we remove support for writing those files as well? :)

no features should be removed
but having more parts of the interface work with untrusted data would
allow new things neither of us is thinking of ...