[FFmpeg-devel] AMD external header

Mironov, Mikhail Mikhail.Mironov at amd.com
Mon Nov 27 04:15:12 EET 2017

Hi,
I would like to summarize thoughts on several threads on this forum related
to the issue of including AMD/AMF header file into FFmpeg source tree.
It looks like they reflect some policies formal or informal.
Mark tried to create some policy regarding this issue but wasn't successful.
I believe a policy is always created to reach some goal.
So my summary will be in form of triad:
policy->goal->possible action
I will skip all arguments, you already read them.
   policy: do not include external headers
   goal: minimize maintenance efforts and increase stability of the project
   action: remove NVidia headers
   policy: keep certain headers in the tree based on some criteria
   goal: provide certain level of convenience for ordinary users
   action: include AMD header
  policy: do whatever is needed to achieve the goal
  goal: achieve neutrality in relation to HW vendors
  action: remove NVidia headers or add AMD header

Since these policies contradict each other, some priorities should be set
and I don't know how to do it. Personally I like #2 the most, but this is not my call.
But my point is that by keeping NVidia headers in the tree and not allowing AMD header,
FFmpeg development team breaks all three policies and do not achieve any goal.
If this is what you want maybe you should state this explicitly on the "About" page
as Mark suggested:
"No external headers may be added to the ffmpeg tree, unless they are for AviSynth or Nvidia"
At least it will be clear for all users and developers.
You may say that you will include only headers hard to get. But does it mean that AMD must
obscure access to the headers to be included? I hope not.

Thanks,
Mikhail