[FFmpeg-devel] [DISCUSSION] Motion Estimation API/Library

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 01:09:52 EEST 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Davinder Singh <ds.mudhar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:40 AM Davinder Singh <ds.mudhar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [...]
> >

> Keeping where the code lives, aside,
>
> main thing is API, so we need to talk about it.

You're assuming that we know in advance what the API will have to do. I
don't think that's the case.

For example, what block sizes does it operate on? me_cc doesn't work for
64x64 blocks in HEVC, VP9 (and AV1?).

Or what if we don't use VLC coding, but some arithmetic variation? Like all
H.264, VP8-9, HEVC (and AV1?). Where perhaps the arithmetic coding can
depend not just on intra/inter, but also on transform size, chroma/luma,
etc.

What if qscale is not uniform and allows per-coefficient matrix variations?
How many sub-types of such variations will exist?

My point is: designing it in advance for everything like this is insane.
Just copy what is there, and prepare for the API to change _all the time_
while we're molding it to fit in other problem shapes.

Ronald