[FFmpeg-devel] Debug builds and if (ARCH_...) linking issues

Matt Oliver protogonoi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 20:16:02 EEST 2017

On 14 April 2017 at 02:11, Rostislav Pehlivanov <atomnuker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 April 2017 at 16:51, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:39:57 +1000
>> Matt Oliver <protogonoi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> turned

>> to me
>> succeeding,

>> as

>> more
>> appealing.

>> same as a
>> > >

>> > Similar patches have been submitted before. This is an issue with Dead
>> Code
>> > Elimination (DCE) within FFmpeg and the fact the MSVC doesn't support
>> > removing it in debug builds.
>> >
>> > There have been some discussions on the mailing list in the past about
>> > resolving this but nothing was ever decided.
>> >
>> > As a quick and dirty work around I have a tool that i wrote that scans
>> in
>> > the configure/makefile from a ffmpeg distro and generates a native
>> Visual
>> > Studio project file that can be used to just compile within Visual
>> Studio
>> > itself. You just pass it the desired configure options that you want to
>> use
>> > to build the project and it will make one for you. The main thing is
>> that
>> > it scans the source and automatically generates the missing DCE sections
>> > and adds them so that everything will compile correctly with Debug
>> builds
>> > and you can debug directly in VS. You can find the tool here
>> > http://shiftmediaproject.github.io/1-projects/ (normally i wouldn't put
>> > external references on the mailing list but this may be of use to you).
>>
>> Any chance you could revive your old patches to remove the DCE
>> requirement? (Not sure if there were any patches.)
>>
>> Before you do any real work, make a thread on the ML requesting
>> comments on this. Although I would very much welcome such patches, I'm
>> not fully sure about others.
>>
>> This DCE requirement is pretty painful, and affects debugging on Linux
>> as well.

I put up a general discussion a while ago (
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2016-December/204530.html) but
there were a few people who opposed a direct removal of DCE and no one
really came up with a consensus as to what the acceptable approach would be.

It also needed to be decided whether there would be a complete removal of
DCE or just removing the occurrences that caused linker errors (see
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2016-December/204811.html for my
previous example). Either approach can be done but there are a lot of
changes that would result so i didn't write up any patches until some sort
of decision could be made as to what the accepted approach would be (which
never happened).

So instead i wrote the previously mentioned tool that scans the source code
and generates empty function definitions and variable definitions for
anything used in a DCE block and spits them out to a code file. The output
from this may be of some use but the program is windows only (it uses msvc
to pass the files) and has to be manually run so after the initial output
there would be a maintenance issue. That and i have tested it and it works
for my situation but there are so many complex combinations of DCE blocks
that i cant guarantee it picks them all up correctly.

So I have no issue in fixing the DCE issues but i cant fix them if no one
will let me ;)