[FFmpeg-devel] FFplay: progress bar feature proposal

Raymond Pierce ray1110000 at yandex.com
Thu Apr 13 15:48:13 EEST 2017

Hi. Currently FFplay has no visible progress bar and it is hard to tell
where a stream is currently positioned. So if one wants, for example, to rewind
a little back relative to current position using right mouse click it is always
guessing and trying.

I propose very simple 1-pixel progress bar which can be turned on or off during
playback by pressing a button (I use 'L', from 'line'). By default the bar
is off.

I choose bright green color (#00ff00) for the part to the left of a current
position and pure black for the part to the right.

You can see how it looks on the attached image.

Draft patch is applied. One global variable ('static int show_progress_line')
and one function ('static void video_progress_line_display(VideoState *is)')
have been added. Also the existing 'video_display()' function has been moved
below 'get_master_clock()' as the latter is used in the new function.

What do you think?