[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.3

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Wed Apr 5 20:44:36 EEST 2017

Le sextidi 16 germinal, an CCXXV, James Almer a écrit :
> Apparently, av_strreplace didn't even get a version bump or an
> APIChanges line. This whole situation has been was overall pretty
> sloppy.

I do not see the point of throwing even more blame around; what is done
is done.

> I don't know what would be best. Master and release/3.3 have diverged,
> including separate version bumps. Renaming and backporting might be
> technically harmless,

Until http://ffmpeg.org/download.html points to ffmpeg-3.3.tar.bz2,
there can be no harm.

>			but still ugly.

Staying until the end of time with an ill-named function is ugly too.
(Did you not in the past advocate consistency above a lot of things?)
Releasing with an ill-named function and going the deprecation dance is
ugly too.

Between three uglies, I say we choose the one that will be forgotten a
week from now.

> I'd leave the decision to Michael since he's the release manager. But
> really, there should be more than half a day for reviewers to comment
> before new public symbols are pushed and especially in an incomplete
> way...

The reproach has already been made to Steven, IMHO there is no need to
pile even more of it.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George