[FFmpeg-devel] [OPW] OPW Project Proposal

Pallavi Kumari pallavikumari.in at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 21:11:37 EEST 2016

Thanks for the inspiring reply Nicholas :) I am glad that you find the idea
very interesting.

>> I think this could be a very interesting project, but maybe also very
hard.
>> I myself do not have the skills or knowledge to help in any way in that
area.

I have been reading few papers related to such field and have some basic
idea as my research interest is in the area of information retrieval, ML
and Deep learning. I think this could be doable. Also, looking forward for
mentor(s) for this project.

>> OTOH, there is one use that I have in mind that may not be covered by
existing algorithms: fingerprinting a short
>> segment of audio to search for it efficiently and accurately in a larger
footage without access to the original
>> segment, and even if it was subjected to a different lossy codec or even
small changes in pitch or speed. To be
>> honest, I do not know if it is even possible, but it would be very
useful.

This was something in my mind too. Music application like Shazam does a
pretty good job for this purpose.  Given a piece of music from an audio (or
humming manual) it finds exact song and the similar songs.

Algorithms for the above scenario can be done by doing spectrum analysis
(fingerprinting) technique. Let me make a draft explaining algorithmic
steps in details.

Looking forward to more interesting views/opinions.

Regards,
Pallavi,
IRC - atana