[FFmpeg-devel] Dropping SDL1 support [VOTE]
jamrial at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 20:36:32 EEST 2016
There have been some complains from developers about keeping both
SDL1 and SDL2 support at the same time even after all SDL1 code
has been already ported, and especially since it makes maintaining
ffplay more complex, so seeing the waters are divided I think the
best solution will be to vote.
Arguments in favor of keeping SDL1:
* Debian Old-Stable and Ubuntu 12.04 don't ship an usable SDL2
by default, meaning a few extra steps for anyone wanting to
compile ffmpeg git would be needed to keep ffplay and the sdl
outdev working on them.
* We have a dev willing to maintain the SDL1 version of ffplay
until the above two distros are EOLed.
Arguments in favor of dropping SDL1:
* SDL1 is old and effectively unmaintained.
* The above distros will never upgrade their ffmpeg packages.
* Anyone compiling ffmpeg git from source on any of the above
distros most likely already has to deal with other missing
deps, like any recent x264, be it from unnofficial PPAs or
manually compiling from source. SDL2 would not be any
different in that regard.
* Even though we have a dev willing to maintain the deprecated
SDL1 code, he'd rather not have to deal with it.
Other arguments in favor or against are welcome.
The vote will end 1 week from now, simple majority wins, and
it's open only to those in the voting committee.
Marton Balint, while not in the committee, should IMO also
have the chance to vote or at least comment since he's the
main ffplay maintainer.
More information about the ffmpeg-devel