[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] marking non developer tickets

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Sep 8 17:15:45 EEST 2016

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 03:23:36PM +0200, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> > Can type = task be used for non devel tasks
>
> No objections although I don't understand how #5832 can be "fixed"
> and I don't like tickets that by definition are unfixable.

we have someone who monitors all mailing lists for non subscriber
mails.
Finding someone to moitors fate similarly for new failures may be hard
but its not an impossible task.
Also purely from a man-hours point of view what we do currently
is everyone looks at fate a bit which has to duplicate alot of looking
as its unsynchronized and at the same time alot is not looked at
It should be less man hours if this done by a single person in some
semi automatic/manual way.
new failures can be detected automatically, some unstable tests and
unstable clients may need to be filtered the rest then could
potentially be sent to #ffmpeg-devel.
The human in this case would only need to maintain the list of
unstable tests/clients, some limits to avoid a failing test to trigger
a seperate message for every single fate client. And (s)he would have
to contact people who are known not to follow IRC (for example a
fate client maintainer whos client went out of disk space)

Its not that noone is doing this currently but someone doing this
semi-official and lifting the work from everyone else would be nice
and ATM noone feels responsible to attempt to automate this more
where possible, even though everyone would benefit from more automation

Does the universe only have a finite lifespan? No, its going to go on
forever, its just that you wont like living in it. -- Hiranya Peiri