[FFmpeg-devel] ogg kate text subtitles support (patch)

u-9iep at aetey.se u-9iep at aetey.se
Mon Oct 24 14:31:10 EEST 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 12:18:23PM +0200, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> Today, in practice, we have to support all kind of mix of subtitles markup
> in various formats because of this. It would be great not to make things
> worst :)

Let's see.

Looking at kateenc code I believe that the intention was to keep
Kate "compatible with SRT markup" whatever it means.

The encoder does not interpret/recode markup between srt and kate. What
it does is to handle the metainformation about the presence of markup
(which presence or absence is explicit in Kate).

So we will quite certainly do the users a favor by _not_ cleaning the
possibly present markup tags, when converting from kate to srt.

Does this sound good enough?

Rune