[FFmpeg-devel] lurking bugs in the mmx-related assembler code (?)

u-h8zb at aetey.se u-h8zb at aetey.se
Sun Oct 2 09:50:28 EEST 2016

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 06:25:29PM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > We are not talking about what you and me "would like inside a standard
> > library" but whether we can rely on the specified interfaces. The
> > malloc() interface was apparently misunderstood as a promise to never
> > do float. There is no such promise.
>
> Can malloc call sleep() then?

 "Can malloc do XXX?"
If the standard (as of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_standard_library)
does not prohibit this, then certainly yes.

You do not have any time guarantees on malloc(), if this is
what you meant.

Other implementation details aside, a call to a general purpose malloc()
on a Unix-like system regularly results in a system call and then
your process can pretty well be put to sleep for unspecified time,
by the kernel.

Regards,
Rune