[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Revoke the decision of dropping ffserver

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 21:44:00 EET 2016

On 11/29/16, James Almer <jamrial at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/28/2016 5:52 PM, Clement Boesch wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 07:15:28PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
>>> Deadline: 2016-12-06 00:00 UTC.
>>> I propose, and put to the discussion, that the decision to drop ffserver
>>> is revoked, conditioned to the fixing of the technical issues that lead
>>> to it.
>>> In other words, if the technical problems that require dropping ffserver
>>> are resolved at the time it is about to be dropped, then it must not be
>>> and the patch is not applied.
>> Do we agree that the requirements are the following:
>> - ZERO internal API usage
>> - at least partial FATE coverage
>> ?
>> What's the due date already? Next release?
> There are more important things to establish than just that.
> Seeing Nicolas is apparently very invested in ffserver, can we expect him to
> maintain it, improve and extend it if it were to remain in the tree? Or is
> he
> just fighting this fight to not remove code for the sake of not removing
> code,
> and will forget about it and expect someone else to deal with it if it
> starts
> bitrotting again?
> And furthermore, how can we even trust anything that's agreed out of this,
> if
> the very existence of this vote derives from people being incapable of
> honoring
> previous agreements? Will people once again come out of the woodwork at the
> very
> last second, start flipping tables and decreeing on a whim that everything
> should
> be declared invalid, much like Nicolas is doing right now?
> This entire situation is simply embarrassing, no matter how you look at it
> or how
> you try to rationalize it.

I'm against keeping ffserver as such in FFmpeg repo.
It can be readded later when it is mature and properly implemented.

I vote No for this attempt to revoke previous decisions.

More information about the ffmpeg-devel mailing list