[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] lavf: add CoreMedia AVCodecTag mappings

Josh de Kock josh at itanimul.li
Mon Nov 21 11:35:20 EET 2016

On 20/11/2016 22:49, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> I've mapped a fair amount of the CoreMedia FourCCs to their
>> respective AVCodecIDs. The ones I didn't know or thought didn't
>> exist in FFmpeg have been mapped to AV_CODEC_ID_NONE.
>
> Could you explain the use-case for these mappings?
>
> Carl Eugen

This was discussed in IRC, there was a bit of confusion about how FFmpeg
supported certain types of data, so the muxed, metadata, and timecode
mappings are no longer relevant.

As for usecase, it would make working with CoreMedia and FFmpeg tons
easier because you can easily identify what the different types of
stream are coming out of CoreMedia with minimal custom code (i.e.
checking the mapping first, and then probe it with FFmpeg if one is not
found). It also helps with getting an AVCodecID from a CMDescriptionRef
with the least amount of pain.

--
Josh