[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC]lavc/ffv1dec: Scale msb-packed output to full 16bit

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 22:16:13 EET 2016

>> It was lossless before and is lossless after the patch but it
>> output the 16bit format that you don't like and of which you
>> claim it breaks with find_best_pix_fmt() - I still believe this
>> should be trivial to fix.
>>
>> Currently white is gray, the patch tries to fix this.
>
> erm...in what way does it fix that?

White output stops looking gray.

> A white/black value in 16-235 needs to remain like that when shifted.

Since this patch isn't about 8bit (what 16-235 indicate),
I didn't know what to do with your comment, sorry.

>This isn't RGB-land.

As just written in the other mail:
AV_PIX_FMT_GRAY8 and AV_PIX_FMT_GRAY16 are full-scale
(because of repeated user-request).
If you want to change this, please suggest a patch but this patch
fixes current behaviour of one decoder compared to the scaler
and all other decoders.

Carl Eugen