[FFmpeg-devel] Building with all threading disabled still results in avutil-55.dll dependency on pthreadGC-3.dll

Gregory J Wolfe gregory.wolfe at kodakalaris.com
Thu Nov 17 21:10:13 EET 2016

I am building FFmpeg using msys/MinGW on Windows 7 for use on Windows systems.  I **want** the resulting DLLs to have threading enabled, but no matter what I do the avutil DLL has a dependency on MinGW library pthreadGC-3.dll.  For deployment purposes we do not want the destination system to have to have any MinGW components installed.  Even the following configuration does not eliminate this dependency (config.log attached):

../configure --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-memalign-hack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenh264 --extra-ldflags=-static-libgcc --disable-iconv --enable-nvenc --disable-w32threads --disable-pthreads

Even though all threading support has been (theoretically) disabled, the dependency walker shows that the avutil DLL depends on the following symbols:

_sched_affinitycpucount
_sched_affinitycpuzero
sched_getaffinity

I tried using -static as an additional CFLAG/LDFLAG, but then configure command does not find the libopenh264 DLL.  So I think what I need to do is to modify the compile/link commands for the avutil DLL ONLY such that it statically links in threading support.  Is this possible through the configure command?  Any other suggestions out there?

Greg Wolfe
Kodak Alaris