[FFmpeg-devel] TR-03 implementation

Kieran Kunhya kierank at obe.tv
Thu Nov 10 22:25:06 EET 2016

Hello,

> We would like to contribute to FFmpeg by adding the support of those pixel
> formats and thus make FFmpeg usable for the next generation of
> broadcasting products.

So as someone who has been working on this for 6+ months this won't work,
the Gbit/s of data coming in over the network is far too high for FFmpeg to
handle. This isn't a 10mbit/s RTMP webcast, this is a LOT of data, requires
heavy tuning and optimisation of the network stack (of which FFmpeg's is
very very limited). FFmpeg was "designed" for files, the network layer has
been hacked on (e.g why raw UDP capture has a special thread but RTP
doesn't).

That said some people in the community will encourage you to do it because
they don't understand the complexity of the problem and it is why FFmpeg is
full of broken things and has a bad name in the professional world.

> Could you tell us if our contribution would make sense and eventually
> advise us on the best way to address that ?

We implemented the unpacking in our repository here:
github.com/kierank/ffmpeg-sdi

We are porting it to upipe: upipe.org
Upipe is a much better place for these things (event loop, non-blocking io,
control of thread placement, latency control etc)

If you do try to attempt this you'll find that capture might work,
certainly playback will not work.

Regards,
Kieran Kunhya