[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] Merge commit '2758cdedfb7ac61f8b5e4861f99218b6fd43491d'

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed May 11 19:57:19 CEST 2016

On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 01:45:55AM +0100, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> On 5/5/2016 1:26 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > It was possible to write and register external protocols, codecs,
> > (de)muxers,... in the distant past.
>
> Was there even a such thing as a public API at the time? ;)

There was something that applications used, and that worked
documentation could have been better and there was no
real delineation between internal and external API IIRC

These things incrementally improved as problems where hit

> > i always liked to allow and support "Plugins" / externally registering
> > stuff, but my oppinion on that is the minority AFAIK
> >
> > to me having all the stuff in internal APIs feels a bit like "lock-in"
> > used by evil non free sw companies.
>
> In fact I even argued in favour of adding such functionality to libavfilter,
> in the past.
>
> I am not at all opposed to the idea. I just don't think the current way
> of using internal headers, structs, and APIS (and a wrapper main()) should
> at all be encouraged. If someone were to send patches to *properly* add
> such functionality, with a stable plugin API/ABI, and such, I would not
> oppose. I do not think this is trivial to do, however.

whatever API we would design/choose to be used for plugins should
be "well designed" (that is it should strive for simplicity,
completeness, correctness, long term stability, efficiency, ...)

and i belive if we create such an API, all internal codecs, (de)muxers,
filters, protocols and so on should also be moved to use it.

Dictatorship: All citizens are under surveillance, all their steps and
actions recorded, for the politicians to enforce control.
Democracy: All politicians are under surveillance, all their steps and
actions recorded, for the citizens to enforce control.