[FFmpeg-devel] Make suppresses link errors...

Larry D. Fishel lfishel at madprogrammer.com
Thu Mar 24 08:56:19 CET 2016

First, forgive me if this is the wrong place for this question.

Short version:
I am trying to build ffmpeg on Linux and I get a very unhelpful linker
error message. Something in one of the Makefiles or config.mak seems to
be causing error messages from gcc to be suppressed, but I have had no
luck deciphering how. I get the following message:

LD    ffmpeg_g
Makefile:128: recipe for target 'ffmpeg_g' failed
make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1

I suspect I could work out the problem myself if I could just get the
typical error message from gcc. I can't find a linker flag that
suppresses errors. The only thing I see being redirected to /dev/null
are errors calls used to gather info for the build. Are errors being
redirected to a file somewhere, or am I missing something else. I
suspect I may be missing something very simple.

More info:
I am trying to build from source on a Raspberry PI. It looks like the
typical way to do this is to cross-compile on a desktop for build speed,
but I'm not terribly concerned about build speed and prefer to do as
much as possibly natively on the PI, on sheer principle (and to find
issues like this).

I think all I really need is to know how to get compiler/linker errors
when building ffmpeg on a Linux platform rather than the beutified
output that the makefiles seem to work so hard to present.

Thanks.

(And feel free to direct me elsewhere for this question, or just say
this is the wrong place and I'll take another crack at finding the right
one.)