[FFmpeg-devel] GP License question

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:38:51 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Aaron Boxer <boxerab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
>
>> Aaron Boxer <boxerab <at> gmail.com> writes:

>> > That would be OpenJPEG.
>>
>> (With the intention to distract from the fruitless
>> license discussion: We will not accept AGPL contributions
>> and we won't encourage you to start an AGPL fork.)
>>

> Thanks. Don't worry, I am not interested in contributing my AGPL component
> to FFMpeg.
> Nor am I interested in forking FFMpeg.
>
> But, I would like to find a way of distributing FFMPeg with my codec,
> so users can take advantage of it if they are interested.
> This codec will be significantly faster than any other open source codec.
>

>> No, FFmpeg contains a native Jpeg 2000 codec. I don't
>> remember it being slow but it has missing features and
>> it would be great if you worked on it. See trac (or the
>> conformance samples) for examples for decoder problems,
>> the encoder does not compress good enough.
>>

> Thanks. I'm afraid I have my hands full with my own library :)
>
> Personally, I would recommend switching over to OpenJPEG:
> BSD 2 license, ISO reference implementation for standard,
> and large test suite. Rather than spending time on your native codec.
> Just my 2 cents.  Codec development requires an enormous amount of time
> and expertise to get right.

We already support using OpenJPEG for j2k, but that is no reason not
to strive creating our own native implementations.
In many cases before, the ffmpeg decoders in particular have been
proven better than "reference" implementations, see vp9 for the most
recent example.

j2k is clearly not "done" in ffmpeg and still has a lot of way to go,
but we do not plan to give up our efforts.

- Hendrik