[FFmpeg-devel] Subtitles for GSoC

Gerion Entrup gerion.entrup.ffdev at flump.de
Thu Mar 10 21:56:00 CET 2016

On Donnerstag, 10. März 2016 20:20:20 CET Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> On 3/10/2016 8:11 PM, wm4 wrote:
> > Since XML libraries are apparently always broken, bloated, insecure, and
> > hard to use, that has always been a point of contention. Although it
> > would be the right approach.
>
> You're not going to find an XML library that is not annoying/hard to use
> because XML is annoying/hard to use correctly.
I have never used a C XML library, but Java and Python. Both are much
simpler to use than manual parsing and are escpecially consistent.

For example, what if the string for the tag is in a comment (something like
<!-- this is a comment to break something <SYNC -->). I guess then
both demuxers with the current approach would fail. Of course some could
fix this case with a lot of ifs, but I guess, without proper parsing the code
becomes unreadable soon.

So maybe we could say, a library is less annoying than manual parsing.