[FFmpeg-devel] OSX AudioToolbox codec support

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Mar 1 11:06:22 CET 2016

Rodger Combs <rodger.combs <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This series adds decoders and encoders based on OSX's AudioToolbox
framework.  They may be faster than the native ones (particularly in
> cases where they can be hardware-accelerated), the encoders are
> competitive on quality, and some

I think this is a great addition to FFmpeg!

> users may find them convenient from a licensing perspective.

I believe it makes no difference.

> ADPCM_IMA_QT can also be encoded by AudioToolbox, but I couldn't
> figure out how to get it working properly, so it's left with
> just the decoders.

> I'm not sure if the alaw/ulaw and IMA codecs are worth having
> at all since they're so simple; I just threw them in since
> they were easy.

Please keep them.

> The ALAC encoder and decoder have been tested as bitexact.

Also with our implementation?

Please mention ticket #4828 in the commit message and please
bump minor, not micro.

Thank you, Carl Eugen