[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] MAINTAINERS cleanup

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Sat Jun 11 13:55:01 CEST 2016

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 12:57:13PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> the MAINTAINERs file contains a bunch of inaccurate and outdated
> entries.
>
> What should be done about this ?
> should we remove everyone who was inactive in FFmpeg
> (aka no commit/author since 2 years) as in git log --first-parent ... ?
> should we mark everyone above as inactive instead like "(inactive)"
>
> shuuld someone send mails to everyone and ask if they stil maintain
> the code they are listed for ?

I'd say at most 30% of the file is still accurate, which means 70% of the
file could be dropped. And then we'll see that it's so small the file is
mostly irrelevant.

Now I'd rather have the file used as a "community profile" to look for
qualified people in the various area of the project; or said differently,
keep only applications, misc areas, communication, generic parts entries.

I feel like this file had for mission to be used as an argument to make
sure people are indeed responsible for their code (as in "hey you're the
maintainer of X, please review my patch"). Does it work? Did it in the
past?

--
lément B.