[FFmpeg-devel] IRC meeting

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Jun 4 18:45:42 CEST 2016

CCing lukasz and ganesh ...
so they can correct what we misremember if they want, also dont want
to speak about people behind their back ...

On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 12:26:22PM -0300, James Almer wrote:
> On 6/4/2016 7:33 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 10:30:32AM +0200, Piotr Bandurski wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The problem with this project is that it has not enough active developers. It looks like most of the devs swiched into "stand-by" mode or something
> >> and sadly no new people are joining in to push development forward ;)
> >
> > There where new developers but i have the feeling many of them where
> > treated rather hostile by the community until they decreased activity
> > or disappeared examples are lukasz
>
> I don't know enough about his case aside from i think there being
> differences with other devs regarding his GSoC 2015 mentored project
> for me to comment.

I think there where more cases than GSoC itself
rather a general opposition to some network / ffm / ffserver related
work. Leaving several areas unmaintained now as a result.

IMO no matter how much one disagrees with someone elses work
if one doesnt intend to do a better job oneself, one should be humble
and polite with critique or at least not "shit at one" until he leaves

> ganesh
>
> There was no hostility towards him. He basically left after a handful
> of patches he sent were rejected for technical reasons.

IMHO
our failure as a community was IIUC that we failed to make him part
of our team / be more welcoming instead we argued publically if he
should have a git write account. And we failed to "mentor"/"help"
him to work on something he liked and we needed. What happened
was he did good work that was rejected because we kind of didnt
need/want it.

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle