[FFmpeg-devel] IRC meeting

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Jun 4 13:03:47 CEST 2016

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 10:19:29PM -0400, compn wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 21:13:09 +0200
> Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 08:32:51PM +0200, Christophe Gisquet wrote:
> > i want some assistent to help with dayly server admin duties
> > most root admins we have help and contribute but are often busy
> > raz recently set up a full backup system for us, someone seems
> > helping with security updates as iam not always the first doing them
> > (i think its lou but didnt check) and all kinds of other things ...
> >
> > what would be really nice would be someone who has some time and for
> > whom server admining is a fun thing to do,
> > someone who would do it "because it needs to be done" would be 2nd
> > choice IMHO
> >

> i am against using github, but am for using vlc admins if we vote that
> way.

What exactly are all these suggestions about ?
"Delegate admin tasks to VLC", "using vlc admins", "move to github",
?
I think this needs to be understood first  ...

Also what would happen to the other projects hosted at our server ?
FFmpeg is not the only one, and if FFmpeg moves some of it services
to elsewhere while the other projects do not then that means more
work for someone not less. Someone would have to continue maintain the
services for the other projects on our server ...

I think what is needed is simply an assistent, a trustworthy guy or
girl who likes doing sysadmin work and who has done some sysadmin stuff
before. Its not much work as in hours per week but occasionally if
shit happens it can require significant time for a day or two

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway