[FFmpeg-devel] Doubts regarding SoftFloat

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Jun 2 00:32:13 CEST 2016

To expand on Michael's comments:

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 21:02:01 +0530, Umair Khan wrote:
> I replaced floats in my code with SoftFloat and the results weren't as expected.

Why did you implement your own multiply()? It makes incorrect
assumptions about how SoftFloat works, as far as I can tell by a quick
glance.

> 3. After making the changes, the exp part was always one less than
> what it should have been (I couldn't figure out why) and the mantissa
> was totally different altogether. This is the commit which converts

You should be using SoftFloat via its API an not touching its
internals. (As Michael explained, and what it quite obvious from its
code, is that its exponent has a representation with an offset of 1. Or
something like that.)

Moritz