[FFmpeg-devel] Questions about Video Memory in qsv decoders

Mark Thompson sw at jkqxz.net
Sun Jul 24 00:19:26 EEST 2016

On 23/07/16 21:19, Ivan Uskov wrote:
> Second  (subjective) problem that nobody in ffmpeg community is interested to
> advance  QSV  codecs. Most of  patches at this year provided by me or by my
> colleagues (including tries to solve issue with GPU memory) were rejected or
> ignored silently. Moreover, if you will try to clone a latest ffmpeg you found qsv
> decoder broken, it crashes at any try of use. The patch to fix it was posted
> by me at April 25 but was ignored.

As maintainer, it is fine for you to commit patches to areas you maintain if there is no response from anyone else.

> If it is acceptable for your purposes I would like to recommend you to look
> libav. The qsv-related modules in libav should be more advanced this time.

Do you have any thoughts on what should be done about this?  Further useful patches in the other tine (notably the whole hwcontext series, removing all of the hackery around hardware transcode setups) are only going to get harder to merge if the code is allowed to diverge.

- Mark