[FFmpeg-devel] MPlayer and QuickTime fourcc 'raw '

Mats Peterson matsp888 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 13 09:06:55 CET 2016

MPlayer seems to naively assume that a QuickTime file (or Matroska file
with V_QUICKTIME, for that matter) with the video fourcc 'raw ' contains
24-bit RGB video data. The QuickTime File Format Specification is
slightly misleading, since it says that the 'raw ' fourcc stands for
"Uncompressed RGB". However, below are two files with the 'raw ' fourcc
from Apple's QuickTime Beta CD that are *not* 24-bit RGB, but 1-bit and
8-bit files. FFplay handles this correctly, but MPlayer currently does
not. When playing the 8-bit sample file below for example, it plays
without video, and it constantly spits out "Frame too small!
(19200<76800) Wrong format?" lines which is clearly an indication that
it thinks the data is 24-bit RGB when it is in fact 8-bit. Now this is
not exactly related to FFmpeg, but I know several of you guys are
working on MPlayer as well, that's why I wanted to mention it.

1-bit sample:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3_pEBoLs0fabm83dG5YLUsybDA

8-bit sample:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3_pEBoLs0fadHF2U1JFZ3NSdjQ