[FFmpeg-devel] Discussion related to the use of a global thread pool rather than the current threading model

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 13:20:40 CET 2016

On 8 January 2016 at 20:51, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, as another point I would argue:
> - discouraging web devs from creating too many video elements, and
>   introducing a static "reasonable" limit (maybe a dozen elements)

You're kidding right? So what, you just don't display the video
because really it was a silly idea in creating such page?

The world is moving from Flash to HTML5. Those web sites exist
*today*, they are moving to html5 progressively (and we want to make
them move to html5)

> - not using MT for very small video (MT would probably make it slower
>   anyway)

Even with one thread per decoder, it's still not enough. Even by your
example, it would be silly to open 30 threads to play 30 videos when
your processor is unable to handle all those thread concurrently
anyway.
A task queue would perform just as well with 4/30th of the RAM
(assuming you created the thread pool with 4 threads).