[FFmpeg-devel] Question about "make distclean" after "git pull"

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Feb 16 17:37:22 CET 2016

L'octidi 28 pluviôse, an CCXXIV, Mats Peterson a écrit :
> Is it very important to use a "make distclean" after a "git pull"? It
> depends on the changes made to the newly pulled code, I guess.

Exactly. The most common issue is when files are renamed or deleted: without
distclean, the dependency files are still there and make will fail because
it thinks it still needs them.

So basically: if you forget distclean and it works, then it was probably not
necessary; and if build fails, you know distclean was necessary. There may
have been cases where forgetting distclean would cause bugs more subtle than
that, but I do not remember the specifics.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George