[FFmpeg-devel] Help needed with muxing issues pertaining to raw AVI and QuickTime video

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Feb 15 12:38:48 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 05:38:03AM +0100, Mats Peterson wrote:
> I'm not very confident on the muxing side, therefore I would be
> grateful if anyone able to look outside of his own agenda could look
> into possible solutions in order to solve the following issues
> pertaining to writing AVI and QuickTime files created with "-vcodec
> rawvideo":
>
> 1. Incorrect stride. It should be 4-byte aligned for AVI, and 2-byte
> aligned for QuickTime. Currently it's the same as for nut, i.e. the
> minimum possible. This will logically only work for files with even
> widths.
>
> 2. Palette being included in the frames. This is OK for nut, but
> it's clearly non-standard behaviour for AVI and QuickTime, and it
> makes the files unplayable with anything else than FFplay.

as the rawvideo encoder doesnt "know" into which container it will be
stored, the muxer has to "adjust" the data before writing
the .write_packet functions for avi & mov/mp4 should check if their
input is a affected rawvieo case, and if so allocate a new packet
and copy the data into the rcorrectly strided image, then continue
with the new packet as if it was the old

The code doing this should be factored out so its not duplicated
between the 2 muxers

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates