[FFmpeg-devel] frma warnings in mov demuxer

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Thu Feb 4 13:51:23 CET 2016

Hi,

after having updated our application to latest head, we get tons of
annoying warnings like this one:

[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x102007800] ignoring 'frma' atom of 'mp4a',
stream format is 'mp4a'

Would someone reconsider making this a warning? If I understand it
correctly the code now even reads more than before the change and before
did not warn when reading the same files (because the code wasn't aware of
frma at all). Cluttering everything with new warnings "hey I found this
frma, but in this case, I cannot do anything with its content" where before
it just ignored it, does not seem to be a step ahead. For library users,
turning off all warnings is not a good option either because in many cases
they inform you of something that's going wrong and should be looked at
(had this more than once). But in this case the code just informs you about
its limitations. It's a grey area but would you consider a patch that makes
this a debug log statement instead?

Thanks,

Robert