[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Revoke the decision of dropping ffserver

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 8 17:26:50 EET 2016

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 16:02:18 +0100
Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> L'octidi 18 frimaire, an CCXXV, wm4 a écrit :
> > 3. It's entangled with the rest of the project and stops people from
> > doing useful work.
>
> If it does not prevent build failures and is not present in the normal
> execution path, what does it even MEANS? Nothing!

I explained it. Read it.

> >		      Proof: Libav.
>
> Well, so long and thanks for all the code.

What is that even supposed to mean? Surely you welcome all the
important features coming in from Libav.

> > >   1. Make an honest attempt at fixing it yourself. Emphasis on the word
> > >      "honest".
> > So "we" are supposed to fix ffserver? This is where feature bloat slows
> > down development.
>
> I see that the word "honest" was lost on you.

Oh, I had a look at ffserver too. From what I understood (and others
did), it required access to the decoder/encoder from within the
demuxer. This is something the new API fundamentally does not allow
(for the better, I can explain in detail why that's better). It seemed
unfixable. People who actually sent patches were seemingly not able to
fix this either. I'm sure you don't want to call them all dishonest or
maybe even incompetent?

Only recently michaelni fixed it (with very odd timing).

Anyway, it seems much, much more was lost on you.