[FFmpeg-devel] h264_qsv decoder speed

Chao Liu yijinliu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 22:47:40 EEST 2016

Hi there,
I compared h264_qsv decoder from ffmpeg to intel media sdk sample_decode.
There is pretty big speed gap. I wonder whether I did sth. wrong or there
are really some problems with ffmpeg's implementation..

The test video was captured from a 3MP(2048x1536) camera. The commands I
used:
-  ffmpeg -c:v h264_qsv -async_depth 10 -i test.h264 -c:v rawvideo -f null
/dev/null
-  sample_decode h264 -i test.h264
Both uses 100% cpu (a full core). ffmpeg got 170FPS. sample_decode got
370FPS.

I haven't got time debugging into this. Sending this out to see whether you
guys might have sth. in mind..