[FFmpeg-devel] Support master branch of OpenJPEG and Grok J2K codecs

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 00:59:19 CEST 2016

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Aaron Boxer <boxerab <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I could  give you an OS image that has a version of
> > FFmpeg that uses proprietary codecs.
>
> You could, but you are not allowed to.

True.

Well, I guess you have come up with one disadvantage of the AGPL vs. GPL3:

1) You could receive a copy of FFmpeg that has an AGPL component, which the
person who
gave you the copy did not tell you about, and if you run this copy over the
network, and someone uses it
and asks you for source code, and you don't give it to them (because you
don't believe you are required to do so),
and if that person later discovers that your copy has an AGPL component,
then you are violating the AGPL.

I still think the advantages (i.e. closing the application server loophole)
outweigh this disadvantage.

Cheers,
Aaron